In a blog post released on Dec. 10, 2019, Brenda Milis, principal of creative services and visual trends of Adobe Stock showcases the company’s first-ever Creative Trends program with the release its 2020 Visual Trends Forecast. She dives deep into the findings, shares why and where marketers are seeing these trends emerging and why Adobe is launching its Creative Trends program this year.
CONTENT THAT CONNECTS: WHY INFLUENCER MARKETING IS THE FUTURE OF GEN Z ENGAGEMENT
Gen Z is a business opportunity you can’t afford to miss. As 40% of the population commanding upwards of $40 billion in spending power, modern marketers need to build compelling strategies to engage with Gen Z.
In this exclusive with MarTech Advisor, Milis shares “how inclusivity in visual media is continuing to grow” and why modern marketers must make a note to effectively attract and retain the attention of today’s consumers.
From representing people of all ages, even seniors, to celebrating all identities, Milis who is a photo industry veteran and experienced creative director, talks about this shift in imagery.
Here are the edited excerpts from our exclusive conversation with Brenda Milis:
MarTech Advisor: Adobe Stock recently presented the top visual trends for 2020. What are the top 3 insights and learnings that marketers can draw from these trends to design their 2020 visual strategy?
- Several of our forecasted trends demonstrate how inclusivity in visual media is continuing to grow in importance and evolve, from presenting people of all ages (All Ages Welcome), expressing all emotions (Express Yourself) and celebrating all identities (Makeup is Not a Mask).
- Lifestyle imagery is shifting towards meaningful choices and community-based situations, which is captured in our predicted trend From Me to We.
- Visual strategy needs to address both topics that speak to viewers’ identities and interests, as well as incorporate specific asset and image types that capture attention, such as motion graphics and 3D objects.
- This is one of the reasons we’ve expanded Adobe Stock’s trend forecasting scope to include design and motion trends. Working with trending styles and techniques such as motion and interactive elements are now a consistent requirement to effectively attract and retain the attention of today’s consumers.
Adobe Stock unveils visual trends for 2020
MarTech Advisor: What are the 3 biggest issues marketers face in communicating visually to their audience? What are your top 3 tips for marketers to overcome their visual pain points?
- Gaining Customer Trust: Over the last few years, we’ve seen an erosion of consumers’ trust in marketing campaigns. In order to rebuild this crucial connection, marketers need to meet viewers where they live by presenting a diverse range of both identities and emotions. This demonstrates an understanding of what it means to be human, as well as makes customers feel understood and acknowledged.
- Cutting through the noise of 24/7 media: In today’s fast-changing world, creatives, marketers and advertisers need to be visually fluent to ensure their campaigns are relevant, timely and resonate with audiences. The 24/7 media cycle requires a holistic approach to visual strategy and marketers must leverage trends across all their creative, while staying true to their brands. Examples include incorporating trending design styles and dynamic/interactive graphics to capture consumers’ attention.
Learn More: Event Management Software Firm Bizzabo’s CEO on Why Marketers Invest in Live Events
MarTech Advisor: How can marketers make their visual content more interactive?
Brenda: It’s critical for marketers to incorporate motion graphics as part of their content strategy as today’s viewers are accustomed to and expect visuals with dynamic and interactive graphic elements. Adobe Stock makes it easier for marketers and creatives to bring these elements into their work with a vast collection of high-quality video assets and customizable motion graphic templates.
MarTech Advisor: In what visual ways can marketers now drive conversations around diversity, inclusion and environmental responsibility to propel their brand engagements in 2020 and beyond?
Brenda: Marketers should evaluate which creative trends fit well with their brands and evolve their current messaging to enhance relevance and timeliness, rather than attempting to re-brand and start from scratch.
In terms of diversity and inclusion, marketers should meet consumers’ demand for vibrant and productive representations of people of all ages (All Ages Welcome), as well as acknowledge our humanity and vulnerability (Express Yourself) in their creative materials.
Adobe Stock’s visual trends for 2020: express yourself
Consumers are coming together to support purpose-driven causes and are increasingly eco-conscious. Our trend From Me to We predicts that meaningful imagery of people taking part in supporting small and large environmental causes will resonate immediately and deeply in 2020.
Adobe Stock’s motion trends for 2020: Environmental Documentary
Learn More: How TechStyle Uses Machine Learning for Personalization: Q&A; With Danielle Boeglin
Adobe is the global leader in digital media and digital marketing solutions. Their creative, marketing and document solutions empower everyone – from emerging artists to global brands – to bring digital creations to life and deliver immersive, compelling experiences to the right person at the right moment for the best results.
MarTech Buzz is a series of conversations on the news of the week. The series focuses on breaking news, current issues and best practices. We seek out experienced marketers, to share their stories at lightning fast speed so you don't miss out on what will take the industry forward.
Found Brenda’s views on the future of visual trends interesting? Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to get the latest news and updates from the world of marketing technology.